Founded more than 100 years ago, United Community Centers began with a group of visionary individuals who wanted to serve and empower their community. Local ministers and representatives from the Women's Home Mission Society established the City Mission Board in 1908 at First United Methodist Church in Fort Worth, Texas, employing a missionary to conduct evangelism and relief programs.
These programs were held at railroad stops and in private homes until the establishment of our first center, the Wesley House, in 1909. Through the years, this center's purpose has evolved to meet the community's needs, now providing hot meals to hundreds of families every day and holding numerous programs which empower participants. The success of the Wesley House served as a model for the two other neighborhood centers, Bethlehem and Polytechnic.
In 1938 we opened our second facility, the Bethlehem Center, to provide childcare for working parents. This center was the first of its kind west of the Mississippi River. As we continued to grow, we joined United Way - a "national system of volunteers, contributors, and local charities helping people in their own communities"- in 1965. In 1975, as a collaboration with the City of Fort Worth the Polytechnic Center was built as the final facility for United Community Centers. Each of our three centers offers a large range of services and programs for people of all ages.